Brahmi ghrita or Brahmi ghrit is a ghee-based herbal Ayurvedic formula that is used to treat various mental disorders or problems associated with the central nervous system. Brahmi Ghrita is a health supplement made from the medicinal herb Brahmi (scientifically known as Bacopa monnieri) and desi ghee.
This supplement has its origins in ancient Indian medicine and has been highly valued for its many health benefits and ability to enhance cognitive function.
According to Ayurveda, Brahmi Ghrita has Vata balancing properties to potentially reduce anxiety symptoms. It balances all three doshas and reduces seizure episodes in people with epilepsy.
Additionally, it has intelligence-enhancing and rejuvenating properties that may improve memory function, as well as strength-giving properties to alleviate feelings of fatigue or weakness.
Ingredients In Brahmi Ghrita
Following are the herbal ingredients that are contained in Brahmi ghrita
- Brahmi swarasa (Bacopa monnieri)
- Ghrita (clarified butter or cow ghee)
- Kushtha (Saussurea lappa)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Trivrit (Operculina turpethum)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus prostratus)
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Danti (Bailospermum montanum)
- Aragvadha (Cassia fistula)
- Saptala (Ophiorrhiza mungos)
- Mundi (Sphaeranthus indicus)
- Malati (Aganosma heynei)
Properties of Brahmi ghrita
Some possible properties of Brahma Ghrita are given below:
- May produce a calming effect
- May improve memory
- Maybe a potential sedative (may slow down your brain activity and make you sleepy)
- May have antioxidant properties
- May have hepatoprotective properties (liver-protecting)
- May have carminative properties (relieving gas accumulation)
- May antiulcer properties
- May show immunostimulant properties (stimulating the immune system)
- May show anticonvulsant properties (prevents episodes of seizures)
- May have antispasmodic properties (relieving spasms of an involuntary muscle)
- It may show hypotensive properties (blood pressure-lowering.
- What is A2 ghee and benefits?
Benefits of Brahmi Ghrita
As Brahmi Ghrita has many herbal ingredients, it has various health benefits. Some of the major benefits of Brahmi Ghrita are given below:
- Cognitive Enhancement: Brahmi Ghrita is a popular Ayurvedic formula best known for its ability to improve cognitive function, memory retention, and promote mental clarity and focus.
- Stress and Anxiety Relief: As contains calming properties. It can help to reduce stress, anxiety, and nervousness, and promote a sense of tranquility and well-being.
- Neuroprotective Effects: It is believed that Brahmi Ghrita has neuroprotective properties that can safeguard the brain against oxidative stress and age-related degeneration.
- Sleep Aid: Calming the nervous system and promoting relaxation, can help support restful sleep, making it a helpful aid in managing insomnia and sleep disturbances.
- Enhanced Learning and Academic Performance: Brahmi Ghrita is a traditional remedy used by students and individuals who want to improve their memory, learning abilities, focus, and academic performance.
- Nervous System Support: Brahmi Ghrita nourishes and supports the nervous system, and in return, it promotes our overall neurological health.
- Ayurvedic Adaptogen: Brahmi Ghrita is known as an adaptogenic formula in Ayurveda that aids the body in adjusting to stressors and enhancing general resilience and vitality.
- Alleviation of Mental Fatigue: Taking this particular supplement could potentially alleviate mental fatigue and improve mental stamina, which could be beneficial in managing issues such as mental exhaustion and burnout.
- Hormonal Balance: Brahmi Ghrita is believed to support hormonal balance, which may have positive effects on emotional well-being and mood stability.
- Overall Well-being: Regular consumption of Brahmi Ghrita is thought to promote overall physical and mental well-being, supporting vitality and longevity.
- 11+ Benefits Of Ghee In Ayurveda - Shahjighee
Please keep in mind that everyone's experience may differ, and it's recommended that you seek advice from an Ayurvedic practitioner or healthcare expert before adding Brahmi Ghrita to your healthcare routine.
Precautions & Dosage
If you are planning to incorporate brahmi ghrita in your diet. You should consider these general precautions:
- Brahmi is not recommended for pregnant women because there is no study that claims safety during pregnancy.
- If you have any ongoing medical treatment please consider consulting your doctor before taking this medicine.
- It is important to consult a qualified Ayurvedic physician before administering this medicine to children or the elderly. The physician will determine the appropriate dosage and frequency of use.
Consulting a physician will always help you understand the possible precautions of this supplement to the best knowledge. This will eliminate the undesirable side effects.
Before taking Brahmi Ghrita please consult a qualified doctor. They will guide you about the Brahmi Ghrita, its dosage, and precautions. Here are general dosages of Brahmi Ghrita that you can take.
- Take 2-3gm of Brahmi Ghrita, once or twice a day after a meal as directed by the physician. It is best to take it early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink 1-2 glasses of lukewarm water after taking Brahmi Ghrita. This will help you for better digestion.
Side-effects of Brahmi Ghrita
Brahmi ghrita is an herbal supplement that can enhance brain function when taken in the appropriate amount. It is safe and has no known side effects. However, excessive consumption can lead to
- loss of appetite
- heaviness in the abdomen
- sticky stools
Individuals with heart disease, high cholesterol levels, or diabetes should consult their healthcare provider before using brahmi ghee as it contains saturated fats.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs
What is Brahmi Ghrita?
Brahmi ghrita or Brahmi ghrit is a ghee-based herbal Ayurvedic formula that is used to treat various mental disorders or problems associated with the central nervous system.
How is Brahmi Ghrita formed?
Here is the step-by-step for making Brahmi Ghrita:
- Step 1: Extract fresh Brahmi juice from the Brahmi plant by applying mechanical pressure.
- Step 2: Add, desi cow ghee (Ghrita) into a large vessel.
- Step 3: Heat the vessel on a moderate flame to liquify the ghee.
- Step 4: After that, add a paste of Vacha, Kushtha, and Shankhapushpi to the extracted Brahmi Juice.
- Step 5: Now, mix the Brahmi with added herbs to the ghrita.
- Step 6: Now let the mixture heat till the paste attains such consistency that it can rolled on the finger.
- Step 7: The final paste that we get after following the above procedure is “Brahmi Ghrita”.
What are the side effects of Brahmi Ghrita?
There are no side effects of Brahmi Ghrita but if consumed excessively. It can lead to:
- loss of appetite
- heaviness in the abdomen
Who can not take Brahmi Ghrita?
Pregnant ladies, children, and people with allergies, gallbladder problems, or liver issues should avoid the consumption of Brahmi Ghrita. Please consult an Ayurvedic doctor or practitioner before incorporating Brahmi Ghrita into your health schedule.
Can Brahmi Ghrita can be taken daily?
How often one should use Brahmi Ghrita depends on their health status, medical condition, and intended use. It is important to exercise caution and seek guidance from a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner or healthcare provider before incorporating it into your daily routine.
This information is meant solely for educational and informative purposes, and should not be taken as medical advice. It is important to consult with a certified medical or healthcare professional before acting upon the information provided.