Constipation is probably the most prevalent digestion problem faced by people across the globe. A lifestyle disease as it is labelled now, constipation is often taken lightly, and people shy away from admitting to having the problem.
This is a mistake because chronic constipation can have medical implications. Ghee is one effective home remedy that can solve this problem in its early stage.
What is Constipation?
In his book 'The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies, the renowned Ayurvedic physician Dr. Vasant Lad says that "Constipation is a Vata condition that creates dryness and hardness". Constipation is the condition in which:
- Bowel movements are low in frequency (less than three per week) Stools are hard and dry or in lumps
- Passing stool is painful
- There is a feeling that the stomach isn't clear
According to a survey, 22% of adults suffer from this issue. 13% had severe and 6% had the condition concerning comorbidities. Metro cities have a higher proportion of constipation sufferers than non-metro cities. Nearly 25% of pregnant women suffer from constipation. Shockingly, 33% of the people suffering from it e let the problem go untreated.
What Causes Constipation?
Some common factors that can lead to constipation include:
- Dehydration- less water intake is a major factor
- Eating habits - lack of fibre intake, too much junk food, or irregularity in eating
- Stress - Anxiety, stress, and overthinking can cause constipation.
- Sedentary lifestyle - Lack of physical activity is a factor causing restricted bowel movements. This is why aged people are often prone to this problem.
- Metabolic disorders - Diabetes, Hypothyroid, and Anorectal disorders are some conditions commonly associated with constipation.
- Pregnant ladies often suffer from constipation, especially during the second trimester.
Ghee - A Great Remedy for Constipation
Ghee For Constipation: Ayurveda recommends desi ghee to cure the problem of constipation. Ghee, a popular Indian dairy product, is a proven ancient Ayurvedic remedy for constipation.
Ghee contains Butyric acid that acts as an antidote for constipation and makes ghee gut-friendly. Butyric acid is also produced in the large intestine by intestinal bacteria in the body.
Butyrate is a short-chain fatty acid that provides energy to the epithelial cells of the colon. In case of reduced production of intestinal butyrate, food supplements are needed.
It aids in faster metabolism and movement of the stool. It also reduces abdominal pain, gas, bloating, and other symptoms of constipation. The rancid smell of butyric acid and its rapid absorption in the upper gastrointestinal tract limits gastrointestinal disorders.
Ghee is a natural laxative because the oily texture of ghee works as lubricating oil to clear the intestine passage. It helps the movement of waste and lessens the risk of constipation. It also neutralizes the acids found in the intestines and stomach that occur due to the accumulation of waste.
How To Use Ghee for Constipation as a Successful Remedy?
If you suffer from constipation, you can follow the following home remedies that are very effective and gives relief.
- Jaggery with ghee sounds like a dessert. But is quite a powerful remedy for dealing with constipation. While ghee is a rich source of essential fats, jaggery is rich in iron.
- Consuming milk with ghee at night helps easily pass stool. It will soften and dissolve the firm waste matter stuck in the intestines.
- Using ghee as the cooking oil instead of other oils is beneficial in constipation.
- Ghee with caffeine also reduces constipation. You can try using ghee in your coffee.
- Ghee with lukewarm water before bedtime helps contain constipation if a person is lactose intolerant.
- Using ghee with keto salad will be another remedy for constipation as it will provide fiber along with the benefits of ghee.
Most people suffering from constipated bowel movements are unwilling to discuss it or seek medical help. It can seem embarrassing and awkward. So many a time, the problem goes untreated. Chronic constipation results in haemorrhoids and anal fissures. Ghee is one magical cure for the problem.
However, you must consume only pure, unadulterated, and authentic ghee. Impure ghee will not be fruitful. Even homemade ghee is less effective since you cannot be sure of the purity and quality of the milk from which the ghee is made.
Try Shahji Desi Ghee to get the taste of pure cow desi ghee and to overcome the problem of constipation.