Ghee has been proven beneficial for people suffering from PCOS. PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder that affects around 20% of women of reproductive age. PCOS impacts the ovaries, which produce the hormones responsible for ovulation and menstruation — estrogen and progesterone. The causes of polycystic ovary syndrome are genetic as well as environmental.
Most nutritionists recommend including desi ghee in daily meals for those who have PCOS. Ghee is said to help in PCOS management and keeping it in check.
Impact of PCOS on Health
PCOS impacts the health and lifestyle of women. It brings a host of many problems. Some of the common issues that women face due to PCOS are:
- Period Problems - Women with PCOS generally suffer from infrequent, irregular, prolonged, or heavy menstruation.
- Excess Androgen - Secretion of male hormone (androgen) increases, due to which women face severe acne, excess facial and body hair, and sometimes male-pattern baldness.
- Polycystic Ovaries - The ovaries develop numerous small collections of fluid (follicles), get enlarged, and fail to release eggs regularly.
- Excess Insulin - Insulin is the pancreatic hormone that metabolizes sugar. Excess insulin results in high blood sugar levels, can impair ovulation, and cause the ovaries to make excess testosterone.
- Low-grade Inflammation - Higher-than-normal levels of C-reactive protein and high levels of glucose in PCOS are responsible for low-grade inflammation. Low-grade inflammation indicates a higher number of white blood cells, which plays a significant role in the pathogenesis of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
- Weight Gain - Women who suffer from PCOS, usually gain weight, especially in the tummy area.
- Dry and Dull Skin - Dull and dry skin is common among PCOS due to hormonal dysfunction.
- Digestive Problems - Constipation is frequently a problem among women having PCOS due to metabolic and psychological stress.
Why is Ghee Good in PCOS Diet
Ghee is ayurvedically recommended in every diet in general. Ghee contains fatty acids, minerals, calcium, and vitamins such as Vitamin A, E, K2, and D. Ghee plays a significant positive role while planning for the diet of PCOS women. Let us see how.
Benefits of Ghee in PCOS Diet
1. Hormonal Balance
Ghee helps in maintaining the balance of the hormones in the body. The root cause of PCOS is a hormonal imbalance that impairs ovulation and reproductive health. The short and medium-chain fatty acids in ghee improve metabolism, boosts immunity, and are anti-microbial. This helps regulate the menstrual cycle and increase fertility.
2. Stress Relieving
Ghee acts as a stress buster. Psychological stress is a big risk factor for PCOS. The effect of ghee is de-stressing and calming. Its anti-depressant properties are due to linoleic and omega-3 fatty acids essential for improving brain and heart health. It improves memory and strengthens the brain's functioning.
3. Reducing Inflammation
Ghee is anti-inflammatory. Women with PCOS suffer from low-grade inflammation. Butyric acid in ghee has anti-inflammatory properties and improves the functioning of the gut hormone. This enables better secretion of insulin, which mitigates oxidative stress. Apart from this ghee has Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory too.
4. Weight Loss
Ghee is a high-calorie food and curbs hunger pangs. It improves metabolism and is thus a dietary remedy for weight loss. This is because Ghee has DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) and CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), which are vital for boosting metabolism.
Read more about How Ghee Can Help to Reduce Weight
5. Healthier Skin
Ghee helps in skin and hair care: The vitamin E content of ghee helps in skincare and natural hair care. The antioxidants and fatty acids of ghee help maintain healthy skin by locking in moisture. A natural emollient, desi ghee speeds up skin repair. Ghee intake in PCOS helps reverse the tendency of hair fall and dry skin.
Read about Effective Ghee Benefits for Healthy Skin
6. Improving Metabolic Process
Ghee helps ease the symptoms of constipation because of butyrate, a good supplement for gut health. This offers lifestyle support for PCOS patients.
7. Strengthening Immune System
The butyric acid of ghee also helps the body produce T-cells that fight diseases and boost immunity.
8. Healthier Digestive System
Ghee consumption is strongly related to a healthy gut. Its consumption strengthens the gut lining and reduces the chance of ulcers.
9. Vata-Pitta-Kapha Balance
According to Ayurveda, PCOS is thought to be caused by vitiation of mainly Kapha Dosha blocking Pitta & Vata. Cow ghee works wonders in balancing the three Doshas because it is like life force Ojas according to Ayurveda.
Also Read -
- Best Organic A2 Ghee Brands in India
- What Is Bilona Ghee And Its Benefits?
- Best Ghee Home Remedies that Saves Your Life
Along with ghee, proper sleep, regular exercise, stress management, and dietary management are essential to control the symptoms of PCOS. Although Ghee is a vital component of the PCOS diet, patients should avoid spurious products available in the name of desi ghee. You should only go for organic grass-fed ghee like Shahji Pure A2 Ghee.
Remember that a regulated routine and proper diet may work wonders in the case of PCOS, together with a few spoonfuls of the magic liquid called Desi Ghee!